One of the reasons you’ll like Microsoft Dynamics 365 so much is the amount of time you’re going to save! This article is the first in a series of 6 with Time Saving Tips for Dynamics 365 Finance and Operations and we’re going to kick it off by showing you how pre-defined workspaces are going to help you get through the day faster and easier.
A Look at Pre-Defined Workspaces in Dynamics 365 Finance and Operations
Visit of YouTube channel to view a video demonstration.
Pre-defined workspaces help you organize common finance and operations tasks according to job function so users can reduce the amount of menu navigation needed and, therefore, process transactions more quickly and accurately.
Let's look at an example of a clerk who is recording invoices. By creating and using a Vendor Invoice Entry Workspace, everything the clerk needs is at their fingertips. No more cumbersome menu navigation exposing them to many choices that are not relevant to their role. Keep reading to see how this example would work with and without pre-defined workspaces.
1. Pre-defined Workspaces for Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations
- For each job function, Dynamics 365 has set up a workspace so everything is at your fingertips and you don’t have to spend time navigating menus. See listing of pre-defined workspaces below.
Vendor Invoice Entry Workspace
- Below is a Vendor Invoice Entry Workspace. From here the user can:
- Open purchase orders to be invoiced
- Create non-PO invoices
- Get a list of all vendors
- Get a list of all pending invoices
- Get a list of invoices or journals assigned to them
Below is NOT USING Vendor Invoice Entry Workspaces.
This is the Accounts Payable module the user would navigate to:
- Throughout the workday, the user responsible for vendor invoice entry would constantly have to navigate to this module screen; 95% of the menu items they worked with are highlighted by the red boxes.
- The “All purchase orders” menu (see below) takes the user to a screen that has too much information for their role. As a result, the user has to learn how to use filters to find all purchase orders that are open. The typical filters this user would need has been put in the center section of the new workspace with a grid of “Document not invoiced.”
- This can be overwhelming especially if you have a high staff turnover and constantly must teach people how to use this screen.
Customer Payments Workspace.
Below is USING a Customer Payments Workspace.
From here the user can:
- Record a customer payment
- Find the listing of all customers that have a list of all invoices past due
- Run a customer aging report
- Get a list to all unposted Customer Payment journals and can follow up etc.
As you can see, using a pre-defined workspace really helps to streamline transactions by role. Quicker and more accurate data entry results in a more productive and profitable system. Reducing complexities for the user reaps many benefits including training and support costs.
Dynamics 365 is easy to customize, it adapts to changing business needs and allows you to tailor, extend, connect, and build applications within a modern platform—with little to no code development. Contact us today to find out how Western Computer can help you get more time back!
About the AuthorMore Content by Diann Spencer