Feature management in Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations is a new enhancement introduced in version 10.0.3. A new Feature management workspace has been created where you can view a list of new features with each release. This is a great new tool that gives you more control over the features you enable with each release of D365FO.
By default, all new features will be turned off with the exception of critical features that are turned on automatically during an update. All other features in the list provide an opportunity to review the supplied documentation before you turn it on, should you decide to do so.
The New Feature Management Workspace
When opening the Feature Management workspace, you will see a feature list with the following information:
- Feature name
- Enabled status
- Enable date
- Feature added
As you select each feature, you will have the ability to view feature documentation through the “Learn more” link and see when the feature was turned on or the future date when it will be turned on.
You can use the tabs at the top to filter by “New” features, “Not enabled” features, “Scheduled” features or a list of “All” features.
After reviewing features, you will be able to do the following:
- Enable feature: If a feature hasn’t been enabled you will have the option to do so; however, some features once enabled will not have the option to be disabled.
- Reschedule feature: If a feature has been enabled with a future date, you will have the option to change the enable date.
- Disable feature: This feature allows you to disable an enabled feature IF the feature allows it.
New Feature Management Roles
In addition to system admins, the Feature Management Workspace can be opened by users assigned to one of two new security roles:
- Feature Manager – can turn features on or off
- Feature Viewer – can only view the feature management workspace
ISV or Custom Features
At the time this article was published, Feature Management is not available to manage custom features or features from independent software vendors (ISVs).
Learn More About Feature Management in D365FO
You can contact us any time about the new Feature Management enhancement and workspace. It’s important to understand the implications of changing these settings so please reach out with questions. For more information on Feature Management, you can also read this Microsoft article.
About the AuthorMore Content by Jeff Katz