We’ve got more tips to save you time and frustration in Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations and our third article shows how templates can be used to automate recurring invoices and journal entries. The use of templates can greatly increase both the speed and accuracy of transactions, making your ERP system much more productive and effective.
If you invoice some customers for the same amount on a regular basis, you will want to set up recurring invoices to help automate the process. In effect, you are creating an invoice and saving it as a template. If you often need to create sales and purchase lines with similar information, you can also set up standard lines to insert on recurring sales and purchase documents.
Likewise, templates and copy/paste can also be used to help automate journal entries. This is particularly useful for longer entries, helping to guarantee the correct data is captured and internal control is not compromised.
Let’s take a look at how this works.
Make templates for recurring invoices or long journal entries.
For a video demonstration, visit our YouTube Channel.
- First, create a new Journal Name with Journal Type = Periodic.
This is what a one-time setup of the Periodic Journal looks like.
- Next, create the lines in the Periodic Journal, with or without amounts.
- Mark how often the recurring journal should be posted. For example, if the journal is to be posted once a month the Units = Months and Number of Units = 1.
- To modify amounts in a recurring journal (if needed) and post, go to General Journals (or Global General Journals) and create a new journal.
- Go to Lines. Click on Period Journal > Retrieve Journal.
- Enter the date on which you want to post the journal. Select the Periodic Journal.
- Select Copy and then Click OK.
The journal will be rendered to the screen. You can change any of the accounts, financial dimensions or amounts. You can add and delete lines.
- Make any needed entries and when the journal is correct and complete, simply click Post.
The list of capabilities for automating repetitive tasks in Dynamics 365 Finance and Operations is almost endless. Both recurring invoices and journal entries are just a few of the many common tasks that Dynamics 365 can handle. We hope this example of the use of templates provides you with ideas for improving your organization’s efficiency.
Want more time-saving tips for Dynamics 365 Finance and Operations?
Reach out for more information about saving time with Dynamics 365. We are here to help.
About the Author